Artist Statement and C.V
Marcus van Soest is powerpainter since the beginning of the web..
Ultimate passion: Creating Paintings, Objects and Web-Art,
building databases and maintaining networks for the Arts.
Planet ArtVLOG / ARTVLOG.NET
* Moderator at United States of Outsider Artists, a platform for artists that belong in no stream in the World of Art.
Searching for universal language, Marcus describes his inner urge to paint as his ultimate passion derived by the inspiration of life and the bizarre times he finds himself a part of.
Born and raised in the Hague, he has been expressing himself through his art since he was old enough to hold a pen...
Marcus desire to transform the beholder and elevate them from reality is surely fulfilled through his work...
Multiple dimensions mingle and intertwine to create a psychedelic nature where mysticism and humor depicted side by side illustrate his reality..
The paintings contain an ever present mystical overtone that draws us unwillingly into his surreal dimension.
Each new painting is regarded by Marcus as a fresh challenge ; anything is possible and likely in his vision...
Alltough no two of marcus's paintings are alike, his undeniable style is ever recognizable through his dream-like reality...
The language spoken weaves a tale of modern symbolism highlighted by his explosive usage of color...
From 1986 till 1998 exhibited at various places in the Netherlands
▪ Group expo in Pulchri Studio , Wins the van Ommeren de Voogt prize
▪ Group expo at the North Sea Jazz Festival in the Hague/ Holland
▪ Pulchri Studio
▪ Group expo in Galerie Le Rire Bleu in Figeac / France
▪ North Sea Jazz Festival Group expo
▪ Pulchri Studio : Nominated for the 'Talens Prize '
▪ Pulchri Studio
▪ Creation of the Banner on the Pulchri building for 'The Hague Sculpture'
▪ Affiche for Crossing Border (Spoken Word Festival) 2002
▪ 'The Commissary' , for the Edinburgh Gallery festival with Toyoko Shimada
▪ Pulchri Studio
▪ Group Expo in The 'Atrium' of the municipality of the Hague 2003 : 14 / 06 - 10 / 08
▪ Expo at Galerie Gallery 'le Rire Bleu' : ' Figurations Libres ' with Robert Combas , Francois Boisrond , Herve et Buddy di Rosa , Ben Vaultier etc.vernissage 2003
▪ December. : expo in galerie Galerie le Rire Bleu : petits oeuvres...
▪ Januari : Group expo in Pulchri Studio / springtime expo
▪ May- September : Back and forth in france, painting and working at new Studio in Cajarc / France, ' Project Maison des Hirondelles ' The foundation of an Art Centre / Cultural Centre in Cajarc / France The project started in Juli 2003 when the house was found.. September 2004 : The House is gone ,and there can not be a 'Maison des Hirondelles' without a Maison,
▪ Juli started painting for P.Berger ( citate : de beweening van christus by L. de heere 16 Th century ) Fotos taken in Ghent / st Baafs cathedraal 21 November 2004 t/m 21 December
▪ 08 januari till 27 januari : Solo expo in 'de Voorhoutgalerie' in Pulchri Studio
▪ 13 March till 13 April : S.O.S kinderdorpen expo Expo in Promenade Hotel/ the Hague Holland 29 Januari t/m 17 Februari
▪ Permanent exhibition in SAG contemporary art agency gallery in Antwerp/ Belgium Juli/ Augustus
▪ De Indische Zomer in Pulchri Studio -members with Indo backgrounds.
On Assignment of the Spanish Embassy in The hague:
▪ 01-09-05/23-09-05 : Don Quichot expo in International presscentre Nieuwspoort
▪ 30-09-05/27-10-05 : Don Quichot expo in de Centrale Bibliotheek Den Haag
▪ 11-03 / 15-04: Inaugural Show at Monkdogz Urban Art, 547 West 27 Street between 10th and 11th Ave in the Chelsea District of New York City Review by Ed McCormack / Gallery and Studio New york Group Expo
▪ 07-09/ 30-09 'CAME to BELIEVE' Group Show with Jean Marc Calvet, Matthew Turov, Steve Oatway, ChristianTango at Monkdogz Urban Art, 547 West 27 Street between 10th and 11th Ave in the Chelsea District of New York City. http://www.monkdogz.com/chelseagallery/exhibits.htm
▪ September till november : Interviews and articles by M. Sponder:
12/10: interview at Art New York City . COM
▪ 14 December Art/talk 'Open resource?' at KINGKONG gallery the Hague.
▪ December 2006-Januari 2007: group expo at Artishock gallery
▪ April : Members of Pulchri expo
▪ September : Publication at 'Famous' 100 Contemporary Artists by Petru Russu
World of Art Publishers
▪ October: Pulchri Magazine, Interview with the title: Opgesloten in een Flipperkast
(Translated: Locked up in a Pinball Machine) by Nina Voets
▪ January till now: Turning point in his Life: kicked his habit for alcohol and cocaine : started ADHD treatment and underlying problems. (having a hard time!)
▪ December 2007: Anton Art & Design Gallery in The Hague Group expo
▪ January 2008: Gallery Lissabon in The Hague
▪ April 2008: 'Springtime" Expo at "PULCHRI " in The Hague
▪ July 17 / August 9 2008: Group expo at Monkdogz Urban Art: 'ZEPHYR'